Andrew Smith's Blog

My name is Andrew. Come and have a look inside my life and watch me share what is on my heart.

I’m No Angel: From Victoria’s Secret Model to Role Model By Kylie Bisutti Book Review


 
I’m No Angel, Kylie Bisutti revealed the hidden clandestine of the modeling industry and being a Victoria’s Secret model winner. She described how she met and married her husband, Mike and the effect her marriage had on her career. The book disclosed how she left Victoria Secret and became a Proverbs 31 wife. She began modeling in Las Vegas at the age of fourteen and she quickly learned that sex sells and the industry knows that men are drawn to this. Throughout the years, she has witnessed mischievous individuals trying to entice young girls into human trafficking in Thailand, girls struggling with eating disorders, and being asked to dress immodesty. She has also seen hair designers cutting off models bangs, hair extensions being pulled out and taking out hair roots, hair burned by the flat irons, and models having to wear Saran Wrap. The hair designers and photographers are brutal and relentless in their pursue of obtaining a certain look for their photos. All for the price of beauty.
 

Kylie is very candid about her experiences with modeling and her painful past including her mistakes. She shared her personal struggle with fitting into the mold of the world and the high demand of beauty. At one of the photoshoots, she couldn’t find all of her clothing and she asked an intern where the rest of her outfits was located. The interned yelled across the studio and asked, “Hey, does anyone know where the rest of the big model’s clothes are?” (Page 105). She only weighed 115 pounds. Satan tempted her to check out the other model’s labels on their clothes and she noticed that most of the girls were a size 0 or a size 00. She realized that she was only a size 2 and she was considered a big model.
 

She also opened up about being a conversation she had with her agent and she couldn’t understand why she kept being asked to do test shoots. Her agent stated her harsh opinions of why she couldn’t go to Fashion Week castings. She declared that, “It’s because you are a fat pig right now. You are a cow, and I don’t want any of my clients to see this way! Your thighs are too big. Your butt is too big. You’re just… big!” (Page 106). Eventually, Kylie begin obsessing over her body image and the way she looked. She was determined to lose weight. Her agent told her over the holidays to lose two inches off your hips and two inches from your waist. She finally got down to 108 pounds and she began to get to do more photoshoots. Then she dealt with trying to maintain her current weight and be skinny.  

The book also included a thirty day “True Beauty Makeover” section at the end of the book. It had a scripture verse, a small story, two questions, and a true beauty tip for each day.  

I loved the transparency that Kylie displayed throughout the book. She exposed the hurtful comments that she has received and the past mistakes she couldn’t undo. I liked how she was honest about losing her virginity to a boy in high school and how she regretted that choice. He started by quoting movie lines from The Notebook and he asked her to take a drive with him and he even put on a love soundtrack that she made him. Then he processed to pressure her and said he wanted her to be his first, which later the rumors were he already was having sex with another girl. That guy was a baiter! I especially liked how she stated the warning signs and the red flags she should have seen from the guy.  She shared how she came to know Christ and how he forgave for her decision. This part of her story could vastly assist young girls in learning from the effects of making small compromises and the lines some guys will use on our girls.  

I would recommend this outstanding book to any young girls as well as older women who have low self-esteem and they are obsessing over their body image. Women with eating disorders would immensely benefit from the personal stories that Kylie Bisutti has experienced. Even men can benefit from reading this book and they can began to comprehend the extraordinary demands the industry is putting on our young girls and women in general. Her story was heartbreaking and very eye opening on the issues of striving to look like an image on a cover of a magazine or a TV screen. I’m a guy and her courageous story was inspiring and it made me recognize the importance of protecting my future daughters and instilling in them, the way God sees them. It also showed me how I’m supposed to treat my future wife. I also loved the encouraging story about how she met her husband and how she is trying to be a Proverbs 31 wife. This served as a great reminder to me that God is already working behind the scenes and is writing a love story between my future wife and me, even if I haven’t met her yet. This book is a wonderful encouragement to young girls and women on focusing on true beauty which comes from the inside! If you’re looking for a phenomenal gift to give to a young girl, then this book is the one to give! It has the potential to change their life and I’m praying it does! 
 

Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book.

If you would like to purchase a copy of I’m No Angel check it out on Amazon.com:

 


 

Check out the Book Trailer:
 
 


 

Meet Kylie Bisutti:

 


Kylie Bisutti is a former Victoria's Secret Runway Angel. At 19, she beat out 10,000 other girls to win a modeling contract with Victoria's Secret, but upon achieving her lifelong dream, she realized she could not reconcile her work with her Christian beliefs, so in December 2011, she quit modeling for Victoria's Secret and dedicated herself to being a role model for young girls - her message being the importance of dressing modestly, honoring your body, and that true beauty lies within.

2 comments:

Tοԁaу, I ωеnt to thе beасh ωith my chilԁren.
I founԁ a sеa shеll аnd gave it to my 4 уear old daughter аnd
ѕaiԁ "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." Ѕhe put
the shell to her eаr anԁ scгeаmed.
There was a hеrmit cгаb inѕide аnԁ іt ρinched hеr eaг.
She never wаnts to go bаck! LoL I know thіs is
completely off tοpic but I had tο tell someοne!


Feel free to surf to my homeρage health

 

Hеya! I just wanted tо ask if you ever
have any problemѕ with hackers? My
last blоg (wordрress) was haсκed and I еnded up losing manу months
of hаrd work duе to no back up. Do you have any ѕolutions to prevеnt haсkers?


my ωeb-site birmingham colonic

 

Post a Comment