Andrew Smith's Blog

My name is Andrew. Come and have a look inside my life and watch me share what is on my heart.

Hurts By Rejections

Rejection effects most people at least one point in their lives. But more than likely, we go through rejection a lot every single day. I have suffered rejection from peers, family members, strangers, and just every day people. We all have been looked at funny with that look that says, “You’re not worth my time.” Just look at people you meet on the street. Some of them are so shy and quiet they hardly talk. Yep, you guess it that's me. I have always been controlled by what people think of me. What should I wear, what should I eat, what should I drink, what should I say, what shouldn't I say, how will I sound, how do I look. I know I'm a guy. But I have been struck with criticism my whole life. I compare myself to other people. I know we all thought wow I wish I had that personality. I wish I could look like that.

In our world today, the models and celebrities look so perfect and flawless. It's called Photoshop; let's just paint over that flaw. But the flaws make us not look like everyone else. If you haven't noticed, no one looks like you; or me for that matter. I know, you're thinking that might be a good thing. But we had to deal with the issue of why we feel so different.

Jessica Simpson was one of the first people, I wrote about in my first blog. She was getting make fun of by a pair of jeans she wore. Which, she looks fine in might I add. Heck, I wear the wrong thing sometimes too. But maybe that's just me. Now, she has a show out called "The Price of Beauty". The show purpose is to show the True Beauty of different countries. Some of the ways are crazy and some are way different than America. The second episode showed a girl who was a model in Paris. She went through an eating disorder called anorexic. She had to weigh a certain amount to be a model. The concept of the show is a great idea.

We think we have to be tan and weigh a certain amount to look good. I am all for being healthy; however, you need to be you. You have got to love yourself. Yes, you make mistakes. But it's never too late to turn around.

Jessica Simpson also has a great theme song for The Price of Beauty. The words in the song include: "I have to take control So much is left untold Trying to find myself At times its hard to know Who we are, we are, we are Words can cut so deep Weighing down on me Time and time I see how vicious the world can be Who we are, we are, we are We're beautiful Our flaws and all They're beautiful to me It's who we are, who we are It's who we're meant to be You've got to be you for yourself Cuz you're like nobody else Who you are, you are, you are, you are" The song is called "Who We Are". It has a wonderful message, because we all just want to be accepted in life for who we are. We may not have done everything perfectly, but no one has except Jesus.

You might have come to guess the truth. I have been called fat before. You don't know what that comment did to destroy my image of myself. I remember in high school I got invited to some pool parties. I wouldn’t even take off my shirt and swim! I wasn’t even swimming in front of the person who called me fat. I just sat on the sidelines and watched everyone else swim. They must have all thought I was afraid of the water. The thing is I LOVED to swim until that comment. I am sure that person meant nothing by it. I couldn’t let it go and move forward.

Another example, some of my so called friends called me gay before as well. I admit I don’t date a lot of girls. I haven’t found the right one yet. None of them are married yet; so I am guessing, they haven’t found the right one either.

How do you get through the comments? Well, you have to forgive them. It took me a lot of years to do just that. I have always been in a little bit of a box. I didn't want to get hurt by anyone. People are going to think what they are going to think no matter what. You have to just be yourselves. If they don't accept you find someone who will. God always will love you no matter what. He can always forgive you. I have been hard to get along with and I have said things I regret too. That's why it's important to forgive one another.

"But if a town refuses to welcome you, go out into its streets and say, ‘We wipe even the dust of your town from our feet to show that we have abandoned you to your fate. And know this—the Kingdom of God is near!’" Luke 10:10-11 (New Living Translation)

Some people hide their true selves, because they think people will like them more. The mask will eventually come off or it will fall off. Don't pretend to be someone you’re not. It's not worth it!

"You didn't choose me, remember; I chose you, and put you in the world to bear fruit, fruit that won't spoil. As fruit bearers, whatever you ask the Father in relation to me, he gives you. John 15:16 (The Message)

If God choose you, why are you rejecting yourselves? There are a lot of people comparing ourselves to other people. You are an original. We all do things a little bit differently.

"Fear not, for you shall not be ashamed; neither be confounded and depressed, for you shall not be put to shame. For you shall forget the shame of your youth, and you shall not [seriously] remember the reproach of your widowhood any more." Isaiah 54:4 (Amplified Bible)

You shouldn't be ashamed of yourself. Keep trying to do the right things in life. God loves you! Nothing can change that. Yes, you may need to change in some areas in your life. We all do. He will continue to work with us to bring the change we need. Keep on keeping on! He is your Healer. No problem is too big for OUR GOD!

“Stay alert, stand firm in the faith, show courage, be strong. Everything you do should be done in love.” 1 Corinthians 16:13-14


With Love,
Andrew

0 comments:

Post a Comment